World Wide Web is the archive of information link together from all points over the world. It’s a distributed client-server network. Where client accesses the internet service with browser using server. Servers have Web pages that linked to each other. In addition, Each web page having URL and IP address associated with that. http and https have used for accessing data from the Internet. These Protocols are essential for SEO.
When you open a webpage or search or you type ‘http://’ or ‘https://’ in the address bar. While there comes a message that the site is no secure. This means you are using HTTP and all the data you are transferring from client to server are not secure. If you type URL with ‘https://’ all data transferred with encrypted form. Finally, Your data has secured.
Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP):
HTTP has mainly used to fetch information from the web. It is an application layer protocol from TCP/IP protocol suite. It’s function same as a combination of FTP and SMPT. It’s similar to them because HTTP transfers files and uses only one TCP connection for data transfer. No control connection has there only data transferred between client and server.
HTTP messages have coded in server and client system understandable language. They haven’t interpreted by humans. HTTP messages delivered immediately as not stored and forwarded to SMTP. It developed by Tim Berners-Lee.
HTTP uses the port 80 of the TCP service. The command from a client embedded into request messages from a client to a server. The result of request messages and other information related to that embedded in a response message. Example, “http://www.google.com”, “http://www.technohub.org”.
How does HTTP Protocol work?
HTTP is a stateless protocol that is server doesn’t keep information about the client. The starts a transaction by sending a request to the server. The server replies by sending a response message.
HTTP Request Message
The request Message consists of a request line, a header and a body (optional).
- Request Line defines the request type (Method), URL and HTTP version.
- There are different types of request like, GET, POST, HEAD, PUT, TRACE, CONNECT, DELETE and OPTIONS.
- URL defines the address and name of the webpage
- Version defines the current HTTP version. The HTTP versions are HTTP 1.1 and HTTP 2.
- Request Header lines have 0 or more lines. It sends additional information from a client to server. The header name like, Accepts, User-Agent, Date and many more. The value filed defines the number associated with header name.
- In a request, message Body can be present. Usually, the comments are in the body part.
HTTP Response Message
A response message consists of a status line, header lines, a blank line and a body (optional).
- Status line consists of a version of the protocol, status code, and Phrase.
- A version of the protocol is current HTTP version.
- The Status code defines the status of a request. It having 3 digits.
- The phrase defines the status code in a text
- Header line sends some additional information from a server to a client. The header lines can be 0 or more than 0. Example, the status code 200 is for OK, status code 404 for Page not Found.
- The body contains the document which sent from server to the client. If the response is an error message then body not present.
The status codes in the range 100 are informational. The codes in the 200 range show successful request. The codes in the range 300 redirect a client to another URL. Error at the client side indicated by a code in the range 400. And finally the codes in the range 500 shows an error at the server site.
Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS):
HTTP does not provide security. Here comes the HTTPS. HTTP can run over Secure Socket Layer. Here HTTP called HTTPS. Its main goal is to provide client-server authentication, data integrity, and confidentiality. Example, The credit card numbers safely transferred to online shoppers through the Internet.
Secure socket layer (SSL) protocol and Transport layer security (TLS) protocol is responsible for providing security at the transport layer. Here Application layer client-server protocol HTTP encapsulates their data in SSL packets. If the client and server having the capability of running SSL or TLS programs. Then the client uses ‘https://’ instead of ‘http://’ in the URL. This enables HTTP messages encapsulated in SSL packets.
SSL provides security over data generated from the application layer. SSL get data from any application layer protocol but usually, HTTP protocol has used. Then this HTTPS data compressed, signed and encrypted. Furthermore, it has passed to reliable transport layer protocol such as TCP.
SSL developed by Netscape in 1994. Two version SSL 2 and SSL 3 released in 1995. Example: “https://facebook.com”, “https://www.technohub.org”.
Difference between HTTP and HTTPS:
- HTTP URL begins with ‘http://’ in address whereas for HTTPS ‘https://’ used.
- If we talk about security HTTP an unsecured protocol while HTTPS has secured.
- HTTP transfers data over port 80 for communication. And HTTPS transfers data over port 443 for communication.
- There has no security certificate required at HTTP but for HTTPS there has SSL certificate required with signed by a certificate authority.
- HTTP operates at Application Layer in OSI model while HTTPS operate at Transport layer in OSI model.
- The Encryption process has not done at HTTP level before sending data to other layers. Whereas encryption process is the main part of HTTPS.
- HTTP doesn’t require domain validation. As HTTPS requires Domain validation and other legal document verifications.
- HTTP protocol used with websites in which no need of security. While HTTPS protocol used with the websites which have need to secure and reliable during a transaction.
- Either Blog sites or Information sites use HTTP. For shopping sites, banking sites, Social sites HTTPS used.
In conclusion, Today everyone uses the Internet for surfing data and other related information. You must know the difference between HTTP and HTTPS. Since both having different functionality. So for your security always use HTTPS URLs. Your confidential data is secure. Therefore, No one can steal it or hack it.
The websites having included ‘https://’ in it are having SSL certificates with them. These are highly secure websites. When you have SSL certificate users increases trust in you. As they understand you’re not losing your data.
If you have a website or your friend ask them to buy best SSL certificates. There are some organizations providing SSL certificates to secure your website.